logo du MAECI partenariat Logo de byDesign eLab, un centre indépendant de recherche, développement et production en forums électroniques pour l'élaboration des politiques, qui a vu le jour en 1997 dans le cadre du programme McLuhan de l'Université de Toronto
Accueil du MAECI Plan du site Aide Politiques Partenariat Commentaires Netcast English

Bienvenue
Message du Ministre
Document de réflexion
Répondre aux questions
Réponses
Forum de discussion

Sécurité

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

Ce forum est bilingue, et les participants peuvent rédiger leurs commentaires dans la langue de leur choix.

Shape foreign policy?

Participant: fatmomma

Date: 2003-04-16 01:10:32

I believe Canada should remain in the UN. I believe the UN should and can be revamped to be more effective and enabled to enforce its resolutions. I believe this is even more important if the USA does not wish to continue its membership in the UN. The world may need the UN to band together to counter balance the power of the USA as the sole Super power. The President of the USA has too much power. In future times a very dangerous, mentally unstable, or unwise person could be in control and wreak havoc on the world.
The American public like many Canadians knows little of the real issues. A poll I read stated that 47% of the American public polled believed that Canada supported the USA in the invasion of Iraq. Sadly uninformed.
I believe that Canada can be very self sufficient; We can provide all the necessities of life for ourselves (Food, water, electrical power, oil, technology) Our greatest dependency on the USA would be medical research and money; they need our oil (maybe needed) and electrical power.
While, I am not advocating we shouldn't promote trade with the USA; I believe we should seek more diverse trading partners to ensure we are not pressured to make any federal decisions to protect our economy, A more diverse trading partnerships would make us less at risk of having our economy severely affected by American economic problems.
Trading with smaller, poorer nations could have the effect of improving that countries economy and make the world a more economically balance place as long as we make sure that we do not exploit the people or labour of these countries.

Répondre à ce message

Voir en contexte du sujet

Shape foreign policy?

Participant: Fleabag

Date: 2003-04-16 20:15:22

Very well said. Putting 'all of one's eggs in one basket' is never a wise move, especially when the 'basket' is in someone else's hands.

Répondre à ce message