logo du MAECI partenariat Logo de byDesign eLab, un centre indépendant de recherche, développement et production en forums électroniques pour l'élaboration des politiques, qui a vu le jour en 1997 dans le cadre du programme McLuhan de l'Université de Toronto
Accueil du MAECI Plan du site Aide Politiques Partenariat Commentaires Netcast English

Bienvenue
Message du Ministre
Document de réflexion
Répondre aux questions
Réponses
Forum de discussion

Sécurité

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

Ce forum est bilingue, et les participants peuvent rédiger leurs commentaires dans la langue de leur choix.

Shape foreign policy?

Participant: Fleabag

Date: 2003-04-14 23:53:42

I have told many people about this forum, and sadly, few were interested. It seems that some, even perhaps the majority, prefer to trust our gov't regarding policy, then complain later.

It is my feeling, and I'm sure many in this forum, that Canada should lead by example, as 'benevolent interlopers' rather than 'wealth conquerors'.
To this end, we must link our foriegn policy to everything we do. Trade, membership to international organizations, et al must be streamlined into one focused foreign, and reflective of our domestic, policy.
I think an organization such as the UN, (with some improvement) should be the main focus of where we voice our qualified stances. Many other organizations, such as the OAS and NATO, and others, should be reviewed and perhaps 'melded' into a greater, unified world governing body.
We cannot accept any one single nation's interests except our own to dictate the course we plot to our future.

Répondre à ce message

Voir en contexte du sujet

Shape foreign policy?

Participant: 1386

Date: 2003-04-15 18:37:40

Thank you, well said 'Fleabag'. Its a shame that many today seem to have given up on actively taking an interest in their government and participating in debate, but rather feel the best way of pursuing the changes they feel are necessary are from outside of the system.

I wonder if pursuing change through the UN as a long term goal will not hamper Canada's ability to affect issues of national and international interest in the short term since the UN is so obviously prone to derailment, leaving only alternative (mulitlateral or otherwise)avenues to help influence global events. A case in point, I believe, would be Kosovo, when NATO had to step in b/c the Security Council could not come to agreement (not that Canada had a lot to do with this decision, but it does illustrate the weakness of the UN, and in particular the Security Council).

I do, however, agree that ultimately, the UN should be reformed if it is ever to be the venerable democratic institution many hope it will one day become. Yet another item on Canada's foreign policy to-do list perhaps.

Répondre à ce message