logo du MAECI partenariat Logo de byDesign eLab, un centre indépendant de recherche, développement et production en forums électroniques pour l'élaboration des politiques, qui a vu le jour en 1997 dans le cadre du programme McLuhan de l'Université de Toronto
Accueil du MAECI Plan du site Aide Politiques Partenariat Commentaires Netcast English

Bienvenue
Message du Ministre
Document de réflexion
Répondre aux questions
Réponses
Forum de discussion

Prospérité

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

Ce forum est bilingue, et les participants peuvent rédiger leurs commentaires dans la langue de leur choix.

How do we Increase Canadian Prosperity?

Participant: Jimmy_Dukes

Date: 2003-01-22 22:44:49

How do we as a nation prosper?
By doing the exact polar opposite of the richest most powerful country.

To get heard and understood in this world you have to speak the right language. Money.

We need to create jobs for Canadians. To do that we need to create consumers to purchase Canadian made goods. How do we do this?

The usa is the biggest manufacture of goods. Yet they pick and choose whom they sell which goods to. This isn’t a way to run a business and to be prosperous.

As Canadians I see we look at the market see where there is a void and sell there. Cuba? Iraq? Iran? North Korea? All consumers.. they want nike shoes.. they want McDonalds.. but there not being sold those goods.

That’s they tyranny that G. W. opposes. they don’t want to buy american goods. So lets sell them some friendly Canadian goods. Get in their first.. make the contacts. that’s why theve changed there soft stance on China.. 1 Billion consumers ready and waiting to buy american goods. Lets get in their first.. use good old fashion Canadian marketing, decency and respect. And make this a more Prosperous country

Répondre à ce message

Participant: Iceberg

Date: 2003-01-23 00:19:12

Yes. I totally agree. It tickles me to see us go behind the backs of the US Helms-Burton embargo to trade freely with Cuba. The anti-Cuban American conservatives have the gall, especially when the US is

Répondre à ce message

Participant: Rickeh

Date: 2003-02-07 15:50:04

I think that in order to increase canadian prosperity, there must be a sizeable amount of money in government funded research programmes. Also, there must be government incentives to actually work. I mean, sometimes you're better staying on welfare then going out and getting a job. Why go back to work? Also, there should be schools for uh.. I can't remember the term but.. Schools so that you can learn the jobskills needed for a certain job instead of going in to a job completely inexperienced and not producing as much as you could with proper education. o.O make sense?

Répondre à ce message

Participant: Rickeh

Date: 2003-02-07 15:52:02

I think that in order to increase canadian prosperity, there must be a sizeable amount of money in government funded research programmes. Also, there must be government incentives to actually work. I mean, sometimes you're better staying on welfare then going out and getting a job. Why go back to work? Also, there should be schools for uh.. I can't remember the term but.. Schools so that you can learn the jobskills needed for a certain job instead of going in to a job completely inexperienced and not producing as much as you could with proper education. o.O make sense?

Répondre à ce message

Participant: rmk

Date: 2003-01-23 09:29:48

85% of Canadian exports head go to the U.S. Do not belittle the value of this union. It is the most important one that Canada has. In many cases it is the U.S. consumer that is paying our salaries. I will concede that we need to strenghten our international trade relations, ecspecially in Asia, but that will take time.

Répondre à ce message

Participant: cfallon

Date: 2003-02-06 13:19:06

Not only is US-Canada trade critical to both countries, it is critical to the World. It is the largest bi-national trading relationship in the World's history - by FAR.

Spending government energy to expand trade with countries whose markets are much smaller than Canada's seems silly. China has an economy the size of Canada! Do we really think that opening up Laos to Canadian products will guarantee our CPP?

Répondre à ce message

Participant: Darien

Date: 2003-01-24 12:16:08

I think one of the most important things we can do right now, as far as economic stimulus, is to expand into other markets. Tim Hortons only really expanded into the US after Wendy's bought it. Our other major companies, like Nortel and Petro-Canada, are dealing well in the international markets, but we need to support and encourage this.

Government interventionist that I am, I feel the government should provide benefits to Canadian companies that pursue foreign markets - whether they be in the US, or in other countries. The United States became a powerhouse this way, and Canadian companies are some of the most innovative, efficient, and effective there are (in my personal, biased opinion). We should support those who bring money into the country, and provide them with financial incentives to do so, such as tax breaks, or loans earmarked for expansion of business and operations into other markets.

Canadians are known around the world as polite, friendly, accepting, and educated. Our business can integrate into other cultures and societies, and we would be welcomed. Let's take advantage of that.

Répondre à ce message

Participant: RCGGILLIS

Date: 2003-04-07 21:27:25

Two words: Free Trade.

Répondre à ce message