DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Conclusion: The World We Want

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Time for Global Government

Contributor: Justsomeguy

Date: 2003-01-31 09:18:36

This is a fine declaration, and I admit that I agree with every word, but of course I also have a "but" to add.

I have noticed that many self-described 'activists' often make these sorts of wide-ranging, vague statements about how the world should be, but their huge scope makes it nearly impossible for people to actually formulate any answers to the problems they all see.

Of course everybody who is sensible wants equality, universal education, democracy, etc., but we who want a better world have to narrow our focus and really dissect these issues instead of making populist, grandiose statements. They go over well at protests and at the bar over a couple of beers, but they won't lead to any real change.

That is not to say that these sorts of statements have no place in a social or political dialogue. They are in fact crucial, as they are the theoretical underpinnings of everything we want to achieve. But those of us who want to change the world for the better have to use broad, theoretical claims as only the beginning of their thinking, not as its culmination.

I don't claim to be a great thinker whatsoever, but even my mediocre brain power could have a lot to add to discussions of such importance. The fact that so many really great minds are engaged in such crucial topics assures me that our world is on the right path, but two-billion minds are better than one, so let's all think deeply about the future of the planet every single day.

Reply to this message

Show in topic