DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Conclusion: The World We Want

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Time for Global Government

Contributor: Bhushan

Date: 2003-01-30 22:10:39

May all nations come together as equal individuals.

May laws' guiding principle be eqaulity of the individual, and not interfere with anothers same right.

Let Capitalism guide our economy but limit the extremes of rich and poor. If communism be desired let such a community democratically vote it so.

Personally I prefer local government for local issues, national government for national issues, and international governement for international issues.

Let education be universally available to each of us as equals.

We all desire a better tomorrow, a future for our children, and a present for ourselves. Hey do we all have something incommon to unite us?!!!

Reply to this message

Contributor: Justsomeguy

Date: 2003-01-31 09:18:36

This is a fine declaration, and I admit that I agree with every word, but of course I also have a "but" to add.

I have noticed that many self-described 'activists' often make these sorts of wide-ranging, vague statements about how the world should be, but their huge scope makes it nearly impossible for people to actually formulate any answers to the problems they all see.

Of course everybody who is sensible wants equality, universal education, democracy, etc., but we who want a better world have to narrow our focus and really dissect these issues instead of making populist, grandiose statements. They go over well at protests and at the bar over a couple of beers, but they won't lead to any real change.

That is not to say that these sorts of statements have no place in a social or political dialogue. They are in fact crucial, as they are the theoretical underpinnings of everything we want to achieve. But those of us who want to change the world for the better have to use broad, theoretical claims as only the beginning of their thinking, not as its culmination.

I don't claim to be a great thinker whatsoever, but even my mediocre brain power could have a lot to add to discussions of such importance. The fact that so many really great minds are engaged in such crucial topics assures me that our world is on the right path, but two-billion minds are better than one, so let's all think deeply about the future of the planet every single day.

Reply to this message

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-02-07 23:33:14

You are making a host of assumptions and generalizations. I suspect like me, you are a person who has empathy for fellow human beings. One thing you have to understand is that this isn't true for every person.

There are 10's of millions sociopaths in our world. These people have no "feelings" for there fellow man. If there were no consequences for there actions, a sociopath could point a gun to your head pull the trigger and then have lunch and not think twice. It is this lack of inhibition that generally leads these personality types into prosecutions of power in power vacuumed countries. Why? Sociopaths/megalomaniacs do not have empathy and will do anything to achieve there aims, intimidation, murder, etc, if they can get away with it, were as you and I would not do those things.

So Bhushan were do millions of sociopaths in this world place in your grandiose scheme of things?

Reply to this message

Global Governance

Contributor: ninja

Date: 2003-03-04 15:51:32

Canada should promote the creation of a world people assembly at the United Nations level. Members of the assembly could be drawn from NGOs and others organized groups that defend human rights and fight global inequalities.

The People Assembly would act as a mediator between the security and International Organisations which have in my view, to much power.

Indeed, the People Assembly could act as a concerted watchdog. There are many NGOs recognized as experts. These groups mobilize millions of people and their staff are completely dedicated to their organization's mission. In that sense, NGOs should be hold accountable for the global foreign policy process.

Canada has made it clear that civil society is a relevant actor in the foreign policy planning. The landmines treaty and the International Court of Justice are examples of such concerted actions.

If Canada wished to decentralize ist foreign policy apparatus, he knows where to look.

Reply to this message