DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Prosperity

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

At What Cost?

Contributor: puconjones

Date: 2003-04-26 13:51:25

Prosperity is definitely what we should strive for, but beware. Money is power. In developing nations a bit of money is a lot of power. We must be constantly reminded of our roots and morals.
I tend to shy away from extreme government intervention but here there may be a need for some government watchdog to provide guidance for Canadian companies planning to enter into foreign economic ventures.

Reply to this message

At What Cost?

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-04-27 12:23:52

I see no need for a watchdog on Canadian companies operating abroad unless they are supplying military equipment or supplies. I am more concerned with preventing large foreign ownership of essential service companies operating in Canada.

Reply to this message

At What Cost?

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-04-28 10:11:17

Well, let me give you a situation.

Consider a country ruled by a dictator who uses whatever government money the country earns for palaces and children's prisons.

A Canadian company is involved in the extraction of natural resources (timber, oil, minerals) in that country thanks to the warm ties between the dictator and the CEO of the company.

The company knows full well that the royalty it pays on its extraction operations do nothing to help the citizens of that country.

Worse still, because the resources are non-renewable the squandered money is PERMANENTLY squandered and can never be retrieved and never benefit the people who ultimately own those resources.

This doesn't concern you at all?

Reply to this message

At What Cost?

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-28 11:33:39

You want to investigate all compagnies automatically when they invest in other countries?

Its better to simply have a mechanism where people (either canadians or foreigners) can complain, and then an investigation can be launched... but not before.

Reply to this message

At What Cost?

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-04-29 11:48:45

Sorry, I mis-read the above. I was not suggesting we investigate before - only after - like we do for everything legal.

Reply to this message