DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Is the United Nations World Health Organization credible?

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-24 00:37:10

I have to admit, I was even surprised by this one, and shouldn’t the health minister be in contact with these people from the start? What a mess...

The last news story I caught was indirectly contrasting China's government’s denials to the denials of Canadian government health officials, they used clips from the CBC, talk about irony.

Now I have clients asking me if they should accept deliveries from Toronto Canada, for concern that SARS might travel in air sealed packages or through over night express mail.
"I'm now waiting to hear the WHO proclaim the SARS Canada E-MAIL!!!" <sarcasim>

I’ve always maintained the U.N. security counsel is non-functional, but the W.H.O?

Your thoughts? Do you live in Toronto?

["How does this affect foreign policy", you may ask. Well I think it goes to show that we shouldn't place our security and sovereignty in the hands of the U.N. unless of course Toronto really should be quarantined.]

Reply to this message

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-24 10:10:21

I agree, this is not related at all to foreign policy... I don't live in Toronto, but for me, I really cannot say that the spread is under control in Toronto (look at the numbers), that would be a lie, but its not out of control either...

And the WHO indicated that they made the recommendation of avoiding Toronto after several people who left from that city infected other countries (I've heard about Bulgaria and the Philippines - this is recent news and might not be true)... Health is a serious issue, much more important than the economy... But i think your clients have a total lack of information also, you should explain to them that SRAS can only be contracted in certain cases - and certainly not by opening a box!

Also, the WHO did recommend Health Canada to take strict measures at airports/ports to detect passengers having the syndrome... Health Canada simply distributes leaflets. I don't consider that a serious response.

Reply to this message

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-24 13:48:56

..."But i think your clients have a total lack of information also, you should explain to them that SRAS can only be contracted in certain cases - and certainly not by opening a box!"...

Yeah, I agree. I should have given more detail. As I understand it, SARS can only live on a surface for 3 hours at most and that is in the immediate contamination area.

The client I was talking with does computer work for hospitals and was told the virus could survive for at least 24 hours. Her concern was should she quarantine any self contained plastic items received from any T.O. hospital (such as cd-rom’s) for at least 24 hours?

I said, “I didn’t really know because the info I have is a 3 hour life span”, but I don’t think it is an issue”, but I add, “If it will make you feel better then dust it with a fine spray of computer cleaning alcohol”, that seemed to bring her some comfort over our phone conversations.

I think her concern grew when it was established that hospital staff were still getting infected even with precautions. She also gives much more credibility to the W.H.O. then Health Canada.

Anyhow, as far as foreign policy I think if SARS drops 10% of the population in Asia it will have profound impacts on how we deal with that area of the world, much like how the world now perceives Toronto today.

I have never seen so many negative advisories, I was talking to a person from India of all places, and he said it was the first Canadian news story to make front page news in memory.

Well here is hoping that the infection levels out and that calm heads prevail.

Reply to this message

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-24 15:03:32

I agree with you, anyways its only an advisory, and if we can make sure that we don't export the disease to other countries I think the advisory will be lifted.

And we should continue on with our lives... a 5% death rate is not the end of the world (at least not for me), I'd be careful, but i would not panick either.

p.s : Its kind of funny, several people said Chretien would be a 'lame duck' until his departure... But with all the world crisis - its impossible for him to be so!

Reply to this message

Contributor: jwitt

Date: 2003-04-24 15:12:30

In fact, data from the CDC has shown that the virus can remain viable outside the host (on surfaces etc) for 24 hours or more. Longer than any known respiratory virus. I don't mean to be a panic mongerer, but given the highly contagious nature of the virus, the WHO can't be blamed for their actions. Recall the Spanish flu epidemic of 1918 which killed an estimated 50 million- and that was before modern air travel. Frankly, I think the government has dropped the ball on this one from day one. It was only a matter of time before something like this emerged, and it most certainly will again.

Reply to this message

Contributor: Fleabag

Date: 2003-04-24 23:18:50

Evidently, another big concern is the rapid rate of mutation for SARS. Vaccinations at this time would be wasted. It (SARS) has to run it's course through until world effort can be focused on something. (What is it with four letter acronyms? SARS, AIDS, JAFO et al?)
I do not believe gov'ts are more responsible than humanic desire for complacency and capacity for denial.

Reply to this message

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-04-28 02:39:01

"I do not believe gov'ts are more responsible than humanic desire for complacency and capacity for denial"
That is exactly the reason why the government must use stronger measures such as quarantine to control the possible spread of this disease. Some people cannot be trusted to take the proper precautions to avoid spreading this disease. If we had been stricter in contolling and quarantining persons with HIV perhaps that disease would not have spread so quickly and widely.

Reply to this message