DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Values and Culture

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Prime Minister & Foreign Policy

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-26 00:19:05

Jean Cretien is a Federal politician; interested in keeping Canada together. France cannot have anything to offer our Prime Minister. Its only influence would be to offer Quebec support and backing if they were to separate. I realize that you are correct in believeing France would like Quebec to separate so it could spread its influence there.
I would like to remind you that I am NOT Pro Saddam. I do believe he is an evil despicable excuse for a human being. I just believe it was a BIG mistake for the USA and Britain to insist on invading Iraq while the UN was getting cooperation from Saddam / Iraq. If there are WMD under Saddam's control; he would have balked shortly down the road. Then Canada and most other members of the Security Council; I am confident would back them. This is my understanding of the idea Canada was trying to promote. Then actionagainst Saddam would be justified. I was also very distressed to know that the USA/Britain were blatantly trying to win votes by offering money or weapons or by thinly veiled threats of economic repercussions; they were not trying to sway votes by making others understand their point of view.
I was also very disillussion by having reports of their proof of Iraq's possession of WMD being found to be fraudulent, old and copied from student's paper, or just lacking substance.
I must admit, I generally ignored politics; believing one democratic political party much like the other. I was shocked to wake up and see the World Trade Center crumbling. I spent that morning at work supporting a friend whose sister worked on the 50th floor. (fortunately, she got out with 2 min to get away.) My first thought was Saddam was guilty. Then the USA with full world support went after the taliban in Afghanistan. When the USA left that endeavor before meeting their objective and turned their attention so quickly to Iraq; I became suspicious that this was just a little too convenient time for the USA to settle old scores.
I believe and hope that Canada would be quickly at the side of either the USA or Britain if they were attacked; I just think it was unwise to rush into this war; it will only anger Muslims and Arabic countries and could bring more terrorist attacks to North America.
I am sorry if you feel I disrespect your beliefs. I am finding it very difficult these days with such heavy propaganda on both sides coming out;much of it insults our intelligence
and headlines that are very deceptive.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Prime Minister & Foreign Policy

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-03-26 14:56:49

I totally agree with you, I think the Guardian reporters also seem to agree, here is a rundown of some assertions:

http://media.guardian.co.uk/iraqandthemedia/story/0,12823,921649,00.html

Reply to this message