DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Conclusion: The World We Want

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Contingency fund if war should happen...

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-17 21:53:50

Lots of democracies are corrupt and do not do as the citizens want. Best example right now;Blair joining Bush in declaring war without UN sanctions when 85 - 90 % of Britains disagree.Bush"s actions are not democratic. The majority of the UN wanted to continue with the weapons inspectors; He blames France for the UN not coming to an agreement when he and Blair are the one in a minority. Where's the democracy there? If a countries citizens are not educated; they will not be able to function in a democracy. Sometimes a good monarchy or benevolent dictatorship is more fair and honest.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-03-18 13:27:54

I agree that corruption must be dealt with.

Democracy does not mean that elected leaders do exactly what public opinion says at all times. Sometimes, even democracies nead leadership.

However, these democracies (USA and UK) will have every opportunity to change leadership peacefully.

Reply to this message

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-18 23:19:40

I hope so; if we all survive. But it may be too late; too much harm done. Dictatorship can be changed too, rebellions happen all the time; the people must be prominent in overthrowing their own corrupt governments. People tend to value and protect that which they earn. If they are not willing and strong enough to fight for change; they will not be strong and commited to protecting this change

Reply to this message

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-03-19 07:34:47

"If a countries citizens are not educated; they will not be able to function in a democracy. Sometimes a good monarchy or benevolent dictatorship is more fair and honest. "

I agree, with a lack of education, i think democracy is meaningless... Sometimes the leaders of a nation have
the knowledge necessary to make decisions which the general population might not understand fully because they do not know the facts.

Reply to this message