DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Values and Culture

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Prime Minister & Foreign Policy

Contributor: banquosghost

Date: 2003-02-16 20:35:23

I'll tell you straight to your face that I was tremendously proud of Jean Chretien and proud to be a Canadian the other day when he spoke in Chicago.

Mr. Chretien suffers scathing criticism from something many prominent Canadians have suffer. He's good at what he does.

I don't always agree with him, or even often agree with him, but the man has won more consecutive terms of office than any other PM in our history. Excuses about impotent opposition yadda yadda are not much more than sour grapes.

The guy's a successful pol. Period.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Prime Minister & Foreign Policy

Contributor: conroyr1

Date: 2003-02-19 21:51:25

I was never enthusiastic about JC as PM but I do believe that Canada has to make its own way - the Canadian way. We talk about liberalism, multilateralism, the environment, raising the living standards of the poorer nations, but we do not always walk the talk. The answer is less talk, less committment, but more action. Commit to what we can and do a good job!
I too thought JC said it right in Chicago and I don't blame him for fence sitting. Sadam must go; unfortunately we have to contend with cowboy politics and suffer friendly fire from "top gun" enthusiasts who think they are brave when what takes guts is to push for a peaceful solution.
There's always time to blow the hell out of civilians!

Reply to this message