DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Follow France

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-02-08 13:00:58

So many of us take our cue from the "sophisticated" policies of France when it comes to Foreign affairs.

It always seems to happen: Britain/US on one side, France on the other. Canada vacillates between the two, ultimately leaning towards Britain/US but only reluctantly.

France's foreign policy, after Canada and allies rescued it from German occupation, has been to destroy Canada. "Vive le Quebec, libre" is the strongest statement in favor of Canada's destruction ever made by a head of state.

France does not have anyone's interest at heart, except their mis-guided assessment of their own self-interest.

Reply to this message

Follow France

Contributor: Vox

Date: 2003-02-16 15:56:59

I agree with what you wrote although I make the distinction between its leaders and French people in general.

Some French leaders, to this day, would seem to retain a distorted vision of grandeur regarding France's place in the world. While one may sympathize that France was once a great world power its leaders should not act in a "provincial" manner when tackling world problems of the immense magnitude presented by WMD and the Al Qaeda.

To add to your points: many loyal Frenchmen who escaped occupied France in WWII went to enlist support from the US to join the war. Their ranks were far from united in views but when the Allies finally asked the Vichy forces in North Africa to join them, they were answered with naval artillery and armed resistance, leading to many casualties on Americans who came to France's aid.

It should also be noted that many "Free French" saw de Gaulle as an opportunist and that he was not their choice as leader. De Gaulle proved to be crafty and even destroyed the credibility of French General Henri Giraud, who had escaped the Germans and was working with the Allies on a liberation plan for France.

De Gaulle remained a controversial French leader in many people's eyes after the war. We all recall his statement in Québec. I also recall recall subsequent diplomatic faux pas from succeeding French officials regarding Canada's sovereignty but I should stick to the current issues. The main point is that France has many skeletons in its own closet and Chirac's true intentions (e.g. flexing the EU and destroying NATO) are probably quite distant from Iraq's best interests.

Vox Canadiana

Reply to this message

Follow France

Contributor: againstwar

Date: 2003-02-21 21:17:58

I'm not agree with you to say that the France have a bad foreing policy. They only give us a beautiful lesson of democracy because we dont accept different opinion of us and after we said that Irak dont have democracy.
If you said: they forgot that during the WWII allies help this country, I say to you: they dont forget how it is awful to be invaded. They lost a lot. And French help is the decicive point of Independe of USA.

Reply to this message

Follow France

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-02-24 15:26:52

Yes, France helped in the 1770s with creating an independant US. Not that they cared about the US, they only cared about cutting off tax revenu to Great Britain.

Also, France is currently entertaining Robert Mugabe. What is the message here? How beautiful democracy is?

Reply to this message

Follow France

Contributor: cell

Date: 2003-03-21 13:12:28

The message is fundamental. The question of 'moral right is passée'.
There are far too many crimes against humanity done in the name of
that which is simply right, moral, true, or law: all of these terms are bent
by perspective. OJ Simpson for instance.

My point: Entertainment is a product of good governence, not good
governance unto itself.

Addendum: The taking of farms is as old as the civil war; where there
is slavery, there is insurrection.

Reply to this message

Follow France

Contributor: cell

Date: 2003-03-19 13:51:20

Let us not forget that the creation of the modern republic originated in
France. France was the first western nation to formalize a
democratically elected head of state, and is the only nation on earth
whose social infrastructure rivals that of Canada. For all that has
been stated vis a vis France's reluctance to participate in this current
slaughter, Mirages (French fighter planes) are flying alongside U2's in
the skies above Iraq. It appears that you all too quickly caste the
fundamental pillar of western democratic liberty aside; remember that
the Statue of Liberty on Ellis Island was a gift from France.
Vis a vis your assertion that France was all too quickly occupied by
German forces during the second world war, please remember that it
was Canadian forces that liberated Normandy, a nation that as of yet
has not agreed to participate militarily in this current slaughter. Vichy
France was not occupied by the Germans, and Central northern Africa
was protected by the French, as Charles DeGaulle led the resistance.
This is a war about trade. There is no right, or wrong, simply ancestors
and successors. En route to global trade baron status let us not forget
the institutions that have led us to this position, namely democracy, the
freedom of expression, freedom of the press, and the right to bear arms.
I am most concerned with the liberties that are being infringed upon for
the sake of becoming the next true colonial power.
Let's have a recount in Florida!

Reply to this message