DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

The New U.N. it's not the United Nations our fathers knew...

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-02-08 02:07:45

--Comment-- Since when did Libya and China become shining beacons for human rights? Some of you blue flag wavers want Canadian troops to support the U.N. banner to oversee the world!!! Pffftt.... Check out these latest U.N. reports.
--End comment--

By secret ballot, Libya elected chair of UN human rights commission
20 January – Libya was elected today by secret ballot to head the top United Nations human rights panel - a break from nearly 50 years of tradition in which chairpersons are elected by acclamation.

During the selection of its officers for 2003, Ambassador Najat Al-Hajjaji was elected Chairperson of the Geneva-based Commission on Human Rights by a secret ballot of 33 countries in favour, with three opposed and 17 abstentions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A United Nations human rights watchdog has voted not to examine China's poor human rights record, defeating a United States motion to take the country to task for years of violations against its people.

The United Nations Commission on Human Rights Wednesday agreed instead to Beijing's motion to take no action on the issue of China's human rights.

China has successfully skirted the examination of its human rights record since 1989. That year marked the beginning of China's slaughter of protesters and citizens who it deems don't conform to its strict doctrines.

Reply to this message

The New U.N. it's not the United Nations our fathers knew...

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-02-25 06:08:49

Greetings,
There is a serious problem with the United Nations, and everyone knows of it, but no one does anything.

The real seat of power of the United Nation is of course the Security Council, all the rest are only non-binding organisations .

Now, is there a problem with the UN Security Council? yes and no.

Yes, because the governements who sit on the security council are only there for their own interests and not the interest of the world. Look at Rwanda, and Yugoslavia... The UN Peacekeeping forces were present but were not allowed to use force to preserve life. This is pathetic and monstruous. This is a failure of the world, and I'm pretty sure these kind of failures will continue (At least NATO offsets this incapacity in some circumstances). Its strange that for Iraq, we are willing to remove a dictator so rapidly now.

No. Some people argue that United Nations Security Council is not democratic, since there are veto wielders (The Five powers). Well after reading the post you sent, i must admit that even though in an ideal world, a democratic securty council would be the best, we don't leave in a perfect world, and as long as the other countries of the world do not have at least basic standards for human rights, we simply have to keep the Security Council composition as it is now. The only thing which must be done now is to make sure that the members of the Security Council takes care of the well-being of the world, and not only of their own countries... But that i think will not happen soon.

I think Canada should promote a strong UN Security Council, where the interests of the world prevail over the interests of nations. In some cases , the UN should not be scared in using force (when necessary) to avoid useless human massacres...

I know I'm dreaming, but its my right...

The world has not learned anything since WWII ("Never again...")...

Reply to this message