DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Values and Culture

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

We're all in the same WHOLE!

Contributor: Jibongo

Date: 2003-04-30 21:14:21

I don't know that it will ever be possible to "implement this" with everyone. All I know is: IT IS IMPORTANT TO TRY!
Please don't ignore the first part of the sentence you quoted, namely "If we believe (as I do) that we each discover bits of wisdom during our life journeys, every disagreement should be seen as an opportunity to transform our apparent ‘opponent' into a friend who can help us enlarge our understanding by benefiting from each others' diverse viewpoints." For anybody who is convinced that he or she is right & everyone else is wrong, about all we can do is to invite dialogue in a non-threatening way over & over again until the invitation is accepted.
The toughest question is: how do we keep such people from doing harm & still show them the respect we all need to show to people who do respect all life?

Reply to this message

Show in topic