DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Prosperity

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Human Rights & International Trade

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-04-28 10:16:55

Because the US and the WEST won the Cold War does not absolve the Soviet Union of its ills. It does not mean the Soviet Union is no longer responsible for its part in the Cold War.

To blame the US for all the world's ills, when it seems that so much of the problems are remnants of European colonialism is revisionism at its best.

I don't think the alternative proposed by the rest of the world: that is, keep dictators in place because only us white-folk understand democracy will do anything but keep peace far from us.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Human Rights & International Trade

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-28 14:11:13

"...problems are remnants of European colonialism is revisionism at its best..."

You definition of colonialism only reflects the definition found in the dictionary.

Its broader than that, when a power imposes its values on others (through economic bribery, by helping out people
by imposing a set of values, etc..). I'd call it neo-colonialism.

Currently, the US falls in that category, but i'm not blaming the US, its normal when there is a sole superpower that it wishes to impose its views on others (I compare the US with the Roman Empire, since the Roman Empire brought a lot of civility and order in an otherwise chaotic world)... And the roman empire was not a dictatorship ...

The same was true with Europeans, when the UK colonized India, they brought in education and hospitals...

Its up to all of us individually to determine if this is right or wrong...

Reply to this message