DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

The Three Pillars

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Shape foreign policy?

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-17 13:12:16

"Also the days of a non-elected Senate is nearing an end"

I think its not only westerners which want Senate reform , but a lot of other people all across the country. I'm not sure about the EEE concept of the senate, but the senators should not be named by the PM, at least not for life.

"the status quo. (Again, this gets back to speaking as one voice in Canadian foreign affairs). "

What, you want complete chaos like the EU in foreign policy? A strong centralized system for foreign affairs and defence is a necessity...

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Shape foreign policy?

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-17 15:15:16

..."What, you want complete chaos like the EU in foreign policy? A strong centralized system for foreign affairs and defence is a necessity... "...

I want a strong centralized system for foreign affairs and defense, I am saying if we do not address Western Canada, Quebec and Central Canada by getting them closer together speaking as one voice again, we risk losing the country or becoming ineffective on the world stage.

We have Separatists in Quebec, and now we have a movement of Separatists in Western Canada; we have to continue to address this problem or risk the country comming apart.

Reply to this message

Shape foreign policy?

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-17 15:30:26

Ok, i misunderstood your point, i agree entirely with you...

Reforming the senate and another meech lake accord would do it i think :)...
(Easier said than done)...

Reply to this message