DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

The Three Pillars

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Shape foreign policy?

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-17 11:20:03

1. Which values and interests should bear most fundamentally on Canada's foreign policy? How can Canada's foreign policy better reflect the concerns and priorities of Canadians?

I wonder if we may be better served if we define what democracy isn’t (With a Canadian Slant) as opposed to what democracy is when dealing with nations making that transition. "To tell someone that we know best and this is how they are going to do it seems to send the wrong message about democracy."

I would consider creating a policy document that would clearly define what democracy is not, then using this as a guild line we should be able to get those non-democratic nations “closer” to what democracy is with a Canadian/American perspective.

As far as reflecting the concerns of priorities of Canadians, one fundamental factor we have to continually deal with it the separatists in Quebec City, these 3 million people have an overt influence on our decisions, also the 11 million people in Weston Canada who are clearly alienated.

In another 5 years I ponder if we would see a separatist party of Canada? This party would represent separation of the West and Quebec? If Canada is to exist our government must work to address these issues so we speak with one voice again, I am unsure how to achieve this right now, (perhaps more authority to the provinces on sticky issues like Gun Registry, Language, etc), but with some work perhaps we could figure it out.

Also the days of a non-elected Senate is nearing an end, either change happens or Western provinces will eventually turn to the U.S. for a democratic system. Also the idea of provincial “fire walls” against heavy handed Eastern Canada Federal authority is certainly a powerful leverage point that Western Canada will eventually employ if Canada continues the status quo. (Again, this gets back to speaking as one voice in Canadian foreign affairs).

Steve

Reply to this message

Show in topic