DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Conclusion: The World We Want

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

poll on Global Sunday

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-04-13 17:00:40

I was pleased to see the poll on Global Sunday showed a 71% approval for Cretien not joining the "coalition". It is about time Canadians realized that this invasion of Iraq was unjustified on the proposal given by the "coalition" countries stating that Iraq posed a threat to the USA.
There could have been a case made on humanitarian grounds but this was not the case. A case of war on humanitarian grounds would not have recieved as much support at home and would have prevented the USA from enlisting other countries with a worse humanitarian record such as Turkey.

Reply to this message

poll on Global Sunday

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-14 05:32:00

Strangely enough, last week there was a similar poll done by the National Post indicating that 72% of Canadians said we should have joined the war, and today there was another poll saying
there was a clear slip (48%/48%)...

I think a good source of information for all polls is here (they have results of all the latest polls):
http:/www.cric.ca/

Reply to this message

poll on Global Sunday

Date: 2003-04-14 22:59:49

The National Post; not surprising; they are really completely for the war. Any posting against the war is seldom written up and if it is it is stuck at the bottom. I think there a lots of Americans posting on our polls. Most I have seen lately are with against just slightly ahead. A columnist that I read today suggested that if Chretien had gone along with the Americans we would probably have serious problems with Quebec wanting to separate. I am happy that Charest won.

Reply to this message

poll on Global Sunday

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-04-15 11:10:41

That is exactly what I told you:

I said, Landry calculated that the Feds were going to wobble over to the US side and would use that to promote Quebec separatism. (I just added my suspicion that Chirac and De Villepin manipulated Landry into this stance).

I am thrilled Charest won. But, Charest would not have won if the Iraq situation was a quagmire. Landry would have won.

Reply to this message

poll on Global Sunday

Date: 2003-04-15 23:32:25

I think the gist of your stand was that Chretien voted against the war to appease Chirac and France because they would influence Quebec to separate. Not too sure what went on Chretien's head but relieved he said no.
At least we agree it is good that Quebec will not be attempting to separate for a while.

Reply to this message

poll on Global Sunday

Date: 2003-04-14 23:20:36

Well I found one poll there that said 475 of Americans think Canada supported the USA on the invasion of Iraq. I have lots of thoughts on that but will just say no comment.

Reply to this message

poll on Global Sunday

Date: 2003-04-15 23:04:43

that should say 47% not 475 sorry

Reply to this message