DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Canada Not OK

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-04-03 13:54:44

I agree with you on what Canada proves.

Ironically, we both agree on this and it leads us to totally opposite conclusions.

Fatmomma, you must find this interesting. I would be very curious to sit down with you and try and figure out how our shared values lead to entirely different conclusions. (And don't tell me I'm brainwashed by US propaganda - cause I'll just say you are brainwashed by Canadian propaganda!)

:)

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Canada Not OK

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-04-04 23:48:11

I think it is because you may believe that you can just have instant democracy. This is not what I believe. Change must come slowly in steps as ours did; otherwise it may lead to corruption and poor economy. People can come into our established system and not upset an already established practice. But for a whole nation to suddenly have democracy thrust upon them can create many problems. Before you can have a good democracy; you must have the people to be able to understand how it works. With no previous experience they would make many serious economic mistakes and blame democracy and distrust it. As they have always had all the important country wide decisions made for them ; it would be simple for a corrupt government to take over.
You would be wrong to say I am brainwashed by Canadian propagand because many of my views have been shaped by information from Americans and American sites but mainly by my own logic.

Reply to this message

Canada Not OK

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-04-05 05:17:41

Again, this is my opinion of the world view as well (not much related to Iraq). Countries have to learn by themselves how to go into democracy, our western society evolved into democracies over a very long period of time (e.g : Magna Carta, the French Revolution)... Its a very slow process, but i think its the only process we can accept (except in cases when there is a clear genocide in that country)...

Western countries, with their values,
should help as much as possible the countries which want to become democratic... But there should not be any direct interference (except again in the case of genocide or such horrible crimes)...

Reply to this message