DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

If Saddam uses Chemical/Bio weapons?

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-04-01 15:46:58

First I think you don't grasp what a weapon of mass destruction is capable of. A common 8 megaton war head is called a city killer because it has 400 times the power of Hiroshima. (The nuke dropped on Japan to end WWII)

Biological weapons would kill of a percentage of the population; the closes thing we have ever seen in our generation is SARS. A chemical weapon deployed over a large city is beyond our sheltered Canadian imagination.

Could you truely imagine all Hospitals in Canada closed down and the Canadian military quarantine you to your home while you watch your friends die pleading for help over a cell phone? I can’t.

Second, the arming of Iraq pre 90's was done in the context of fighting the cold war, I suggest you study up on the U.S.S.R, Soviet Union.

As for selling weapons internationally, Iraq just purchased there Jet and helicopter parts from France, Anti-tank missiles from the old Soviet Union.

danwojtaszek Says..."If Saddam does use WMD, (I don't think he will), "....

Are you willing to bet the lives of a Million people on that guess? Today go speak to your friends, family and say, "I am willing to risk seeing you butchered because I think Saddam is a good guy".... That is what you are realy saying...

Reply to this message

Show in topic

If Saddam uses Chemical/Bio weapons?

Contributor: Fleabag

Date: 2003-04-02 23:51:14

Betting the lives of a million people today is nothing by yesterday's standards. It is tomorrow's standards (which have yet to be decided internationally) that will guide us as to what we do now.

Reply to this message