DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

48hrs to choose your God

Contributor: traff1

Date: 2003-03-30 23:02:24

I agree with "fleabag"

Unforunatly, the minute someone cries that the US is only after Oil, with respect, I completly discredit anything else that they have to say regarding this subject.

Simply put, if you follow technology, if you understand even minor economics, you will know that once all that oil becomes 'uncapped' per say (when saddam is gone) you have all this excess supply flooding the market.
Supply UP, demand unchanged, ---> price DOWN. Profit Down.

With regard to technology, once we finally make a cheap alternative to petrol powered engines (within 10 years guaranteed) what will happen to the oil company who holds the Hot Potatoe? ie, the excess supply of oil that no one wants.

That my friends is why oil is not the issue. And even if I am slightly wrong with the conclusions I made above, we must recognize that if oil really was the issue, the allies controlled every oil well in Iraq in the early 90's. Why did we pull back if we needed it so badly?

Reply to this message

Show in topic

48hrs to choose your God

Contributor: Fleabag

Date: 2003-03-30 23:19:41

I wonder if there might not be a pertinent addition to your equation that may be an influential 'unvariable'. The finite supply of oil. 'Supply' in such a simple equation implies a limitless supply.
Replacing it will not happen while it is still profitable, but it will eventually run out. When the end is near, the reserves will be the most valuable thing on earth(to some).

PS I used to discredit people's posts right after the first spelling/grammatical error, but since I'm not perfect either, I try to read everything now.

Reply to this message

48hrs to choose your God

Contributor: traff1

Date: 2003-04-01 18:46:18

There is an estimate 30-40yr supply of oil left in the world. In my opinion we will move from oil to alternates within the 10-15 years.

Once we see the benefits, especially in automobiles there will be less demand for the 30-40 year supply estimated to remain. In my opinion that makes all this oil a hot potatoe that no one will want to have.

PS. This is a discussion forum where people are writing out things they think and feel at thatinstantaneous moment. Of course spelling errors and grammar errors will occur, because we all don't think in perfect sentances.

Reply to this message

48hrs to choose your God

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-04-03 01:24:18

Traffi,did you invented some wonder alternative to oil; 10 years guaranteed.
You are dreaming.
A responsible government would not flood the market; these markets are all well controlled to avoid low prices. You may believe the USA would be this irresponsible but I doubt it; but they may need it to fuel their next war.
Iraq's oil is not that substantial; It is control of the middle east that Bush is seeking now.
Canada has more oil reserves (oil sands included). We will probably not be the next target as Mulroney ensured the USA can have as much of our oil as they want; irregardless of any environmental objections we may have. ( Or so I have read) Can't trust any source these days.
The USA pulled back from Iraq because the believed they could get a better deal / cooperation from Kuwait.

Reply to this message