DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

If Saddam uses Chemical/Bio weapons?

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-30 15:35:21

There is no conflict. This program is monitored by the UN to prevent abuses and to be sure that Iraq does not import weapons with the money. I expect better from you Barret. I have seen credible evidence that the USA manipulate middle eastern countries to bring about the first war on Iraq. That claims of Saddam using chemicals on his own people is unproven or false.
Perhaps Bush and Saddam could share adjoining cells as both could be considered war criminals. My sources come from the USA.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

If Saddam uses Chemical/Bio weapons?

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-03-30 22:00:54

..."There is no conflict. This program is monitored by the UN to prevent abuses and to be sure that Iraq does not import weapons with the money. I expect better from you Barret."...

Now be nice, I'll explain my position better.

The bottom line is that we have the U.N. collecting 500 million dollars a year and that same agency is trying to be an honest broker to remove WMD from Saddam.

If we want to remove the conflict of interest, then the U.N. must turn the money and the program over to a third party such as Red Cross or the Canadian program. CIDA (I think it is called). The U.N. must not use this money to "provide" U.N. salaries.

I am not saying the U.N. is corrupt in the oil for food program, just that a conflict is evident.

To take it one step further, Saddam has influence over the program indirectly and has manipulated the program to make a large part of the population dependent on it. The U.N. food for oil program is the perfect crutch for Saddam to use as a method of controlling the people of Iraq.

As I understand it, the U.N. only has control over the program on paper and not on the soil in Iraq.

Reply to this message