DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Policide ,Police and The UN

Contributor: Vox

Date: 2003-03-21 14:54:48

Thank you for your reply and clarification. The fact that you have Palestinian friends does help to explain and lend credibility to your views. What do your Palestinian friends think of the Israeli government?

As for presupposing and letting our egos get ahead of sensible judgement, I can honestly say this is not the case with my opinion of Israel. I perceive that it is also not the case for you in your opinions. I have no personal stakes in Israel or Palestine except for the seemingly unending tragedy and peril that their situation represents. My opinions are the product of years of observation and debates with my friends.

My opinion is that the current Israeli government and its policies mirror the views of hard-line Jewish cultural elements. These policies are basically racist and morally unconscionable. I do appreciate the impossible situation that Israel finds itself in. There are many intractable elements to the Palestinian milieu as well as the manner in which it has attracted fanatical Islamic support from outside Palestine.

To start with I think it was a monumental mistake to locate Israel in its biblical site. If people worry the US action in Iraq may result in a clash of religions then we have no further to look than Israel. The only way to avoid making Israel's first mistake a fatal one is to have Israel integrate with Palestine and embrace the surrounding peoples.

At the moment, Israel still behaves as if it can use force to secure its presence. Just the other day Israel made an incredibly tactless (and apparently unsubstantiated) announcement that the US had pledge US$ 10 billion to help Israel rebuild its economy. I think more than a few people were put off by that announcement. It is also a slap in the face for the many Arabs and other non-Jewish people who would be affected by the US-led war with Iraq.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2867619.stm

The fact that Israel has bankrupt itself in part by spending on weapons and security measures demonstrates its failed concept as a nation. To me, Israel smells of those "white elephant" projects where too much money, people and resources are poured into some pipe dream that a few misguided souls dreamt up against conventional wisdom. In order to become successful, Israel needs to remain secular, play down the Jewish faith and be absolutely impartial to Jews and non-Jews. This will take a lot of time and courage from all parties to achieve. If this were to ever happen it would represent a complete reversal of the hate and suffering we now see.

Vox Canadiana

Reply to this message

Show in topic