DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

what is national security?

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-03-20 09:25:51

Ahh!! Ok, now i agree entirely with your statement now!! War is sometimes a necessity, but it should not become the 'norm'.. It should always be an absolute last resort. And humility is something which actually make you the most powerful and respected in the world, i also agree with you...

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-30 22:38:00

Sounds like the kind of country Canada is becoming. It would be very nice if we could just live our life like Canada is now, relatively peaceful. Unfortunately the leaders of our friends down south do not share our views. They have not signed on to the Kyoto treaty, to ban land mines or the International Criminal Court. The present government in the USA is turning very aggressive and shows an unwillingness to respect the views of other countries. I think we have to be realistic and rebuild a military for defensive purposes. I would prefer a military that is also well trained in civil defense; to assist in natural catostrophes in Canada and abroad.
It would be nice to believe that we can live without a military needed and lead by example. I think Canada is getting a wake-up call. We have many untapped resources in Canada; we must be wary; some day down the road, the USA or someother military power will wish to own our resources.

Reply to this message

Date: 2003-03-31 03:07:08

I agree with you, we need stronger military, and they should be able to help in case of disasters, especially in our wide country!

I seriously doubt that Canada will be invaded by an agressor one day, we may have problems with our waters (especially in the north), but i don't think we will never be invaded militarily, of course the US has already big control over our natural resources, but that is done through buying up our companies! (Canada should regulate this minimally i think, if they don't do it already...)

Reply to this message

Date: 2003-03-31 03:08:54

Having strong military would also make us more prominent on the world stage (along with greater foreign aid), sometimes we must act, instead of just speaking (I'm always thinking of Rwanda)...

Reply to this message