DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Interview given by Prime Minister Jean Chrétien to ABC...

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-03-14 17:11:52

We could argue a very long time i think on this topic, because it also depends what is the definition of 'regime'. The PM's attitude is consistent in my eyes, if you consider 'regime' as 'internationally recognized through the UN'.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-14 22:56:41

I think we are all getting a little confused. When a country is legally invaded; it is normal to make changes in the leadership. They are guilty of war crimes etc.: the county"s people must have a hand it picking the new leaders. The regime change Cretien was refering to was regime change without an invasion sanctioned. It was Bush's demand that even if Iraq disarmed completely; he wanted a regime change; this is unprecedented. I agree; unless the people of the country affect this change; it will be resented and not effective unless it is another dictatorship. I don't think I explained it well

Reply to this message

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-03-15 16:12:54

Exactly, I think the US will have a heck of a time keeping control over the different Iraqi factions...

Reply to this message