DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

The Three Pillars

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Americans are not our "best friends"

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-03-13 15:21:38

You can't tell people they get marching orders from Washington because they don't agree with people attacking Americans ("I hate those bastards" was an attack on Americans).

Personally, I feel like Americans are our best friends because I deal with Americans more than any other nations citizens and I feel alot of kinship with the people I interact with.

Our societies share many points of commmonality.

Friends disagree and head in different directions sometimes. But that doesn't dsiqualify there friendship.

I am simple minded however. So, when you tell me that Americans are bullying us over softwood lumber and all, I am not fully convinced that Canada's trading policies are lily-white.

On softwood, I do think we tend to give our forests up to our multinational forest companies for next to nothing and I do think our desire to keep our dollar low (and therefore export friendly) hurts the softwood lumber industry. If our dollar was $1US, there would be no softwood lumber dispute.

But of course, its terrible of me to think that Canada is perhaps less than perfect on these trade issues.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Contributor: cougyr

Date: 2003-03-13 23:08:23

Don't confuse individuals with groups. I have relatives, friends and business acquaintances in the US and they are generally likeable people; easy to get along with, as you suggest. When you put individuals into groups, they often behave in ways that they would not when alone. It is the group "Americans" that I have a problem with; not the individuals. That group is presently the most powerful people on earth and acting with terrible immaturity. That group has to learn to join with other countries in order to solve trans national problems. What that group does is act unilaterally; Manifest Destiny; Pax Americana.

Reply to this message

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-03-14 23:55:08

So what you are saying is that all your American friends are fine as long as you keep em separated?

If you all get together for lunch, are you saying your American friends are manifesting into gremlins?

If so, you may have bigger problems then you think. :)

Reply to this message

Date: 2003-03-16 12:37:55

"If you all get together for lunch, are you saying your American friends are manifesting into gremlins? "

Of course not. However, if we did get together, none of my American friends would ever say, "Let's wage peace along side our Canadian brothers because they are our best friends." or "Let's accept abusive Canadian trade policy because they are our best friends." or "We better not say bad things about Canadians because they are our best friends." They just don't talk like that.

What they will say is, "We are number one and we don't care what Canadians or anyone else thinks about us."

(Read "THE ARROGANCE OF POWER" by US Senator William Fulbright. This was written as a responce to American involvement in Vietnam, but it still applies.)

I understand Americans who stand up for America. What I don't understand is Canadians who don't stand up for Canada when that means disagreeing with Americans.

Reply to this message

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-16 15:07:23

If your friends say" we are number one and don't care what Canadians or anyone else thinks about us" then you have very arrogant American friends. Many Americans feel the same as Canadians about peace especially in this situation; like most of us, they have listened to reports and come to their own conclusion. Many American companies are adversely affected by the trade wars and do speak up against them. The people are very similar to us; The present American government is not listening to us or its own citizens. Polls vary but most suggest that the American public does not want war without the UN approval.

Reply to this message

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-03-16 21:43:28

I have to disagree; I can name many Americans who agree strongly with the Canadian position on 1441. In fact many American people also supported Canada’s offstage proposal at the U.N.

Are there jerks? yes, but every country has them, I suggest that if your Americans friends are jerks, then they really are not your friends.

As far as trade policies, here is an interesting link for you;

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/03/14/freelumber_030314

I applaud the Canadian political fellows who changed tactics and may get a good solution to the lumber problem.

Reply to this message

Date: 2003-03-18 14:54:54

" Are there jerks? yes, but every country has them, I suggest that if your Americans friends are jerks, then they really are not your friends. "

My main concern is that Canadians should stop genuflecting to American policy and set our own course. In this, I truely applaud Chretien's steering Canada out of the Iraq mess. We need more of this independent action.

Reply to this message