DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Interview given by Prime Minister Jean Chrétien to ABC...

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-03-13 15:16:12

I get your point, but it does seem a little bit of hair splitting. I mean, if Saudi Arabia and Pakistan recognized the Taliban as the legitimate government of Afghanistan, then it seems like there's no set rules for when the international community officially recognizes a government.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Contributor: banquosghost

Date: 2003-03-13 20:26:43

In Sept, 2000 only Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates recognized the Taliban as legitimate. The exiled government of President Burhanuddin Rabbani, whose alliance controlled only 10% of Afghanistan at the time was still in possession of the UN seat allotted to Afghanistan and was recognized by the rest of the world. On Sept 22,2001 the Saudis and the UAE withdrew their recognition and Pakistan not too long after.

I don't think "rules" is the way to consider the issue of recognition really. There are a number of reasons why one country might or might not want to "recognize" the government of another country.

Reply to this message

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-03-14 14:25:53

Banquo, I don't think so either.

Reply to this message

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-03-14 04:35:45

I guess it entirely depends on the country. I myself, and i assume most governments of the world base themselves on the UN to decide what is the real representative government.

I also think the UN General assembly, as well as the security council are allowed to decide by vote who represents a government, as was the case for China and Taiwan.

It all depends on the eye of the beholder.

Reply to this message