DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Interview given by Prime Minister Jean Chrétien to ABC...

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-03-10 13:41:32

Hi Vox,

I think the example you are looking for is Serbia.

Slobodan Milosevic was a regime change and Canada was part of that action. Canadian military action help stop the killing of Muslims in Kosovo, even though the resolution was rejected by the United Nations.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-03-10 17:09:12

Yes, and that was decided with NATO, and that was probably legal if you consider the recommendations of the
International Commission on Intervention and State Sovereignty.

If you check point by point (I haven't done so myself though), I think that invadling iraq on the premises of humans right abuses would not stick if you regard only the recommendations of the commission... It would strickly be illegal.

Reply to this message

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-03-11 16:13:55

NATO is a military alliance. So, it does not have the same "authority" as the UN security council.

If the Warsaw Pact countries decided to bomb Greece, would you be nodding your head and saying, "its perfectly legal, they are the Warsaw Pact?"

Reply to this message

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-03-12 20:46:21

"A sad day for democracy. We lost a good fellow."

Djindjic, the man pivotal in the deposition and arrest of Slobodan Milosevic, was gunned down and killed Wednesday in what appears to have been a deliberate assassination by a Belgrade-based organized crime group.

I know this is off topic, but since we were discussing it here I thought it was worth mention.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1047472640130_5///?hub=TopStories

Reply to this message