DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Interview given by Prime Minister Jean Chrétien to ABC...

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-03-10 13:26:32

I'm truly sorry, but i do not agree at all with statements that Saddam is not cooperating. The chief inspectors have truly indicated that Iraq is cooperating, how can you even say the contrary? The inspectors are neutral in their approach. Saddam is stalling, and that is wrong, but the resolution which will be presented by the US is also wrong.

As for regime change, yes it may be necessary in some cases, and i understand that, but when Mr. Bush's priority is regime change (welll actually his priority changes from day to day as stated in the New York Times) then it is against all known international laws.

We already know that the US has bought the UN vote of the three african countries. So the US will probably have the majority vote, but it WILL BE VETOED by Russia and France, and i think they are doing the only moral thing they can do, and i will be forever in debt to them. Yes, the US will atacck nonetheless, and yes there will be a worldwide fracture (at least now i have much much less respect for the US then before this crisis, and i think the majority of people of the world think like me, i don't know for others, but i will remember this for a very long time)... But in face of morality, there is currently no solution but to oppose the veto.

On another point, i am aware of the fiasco of Srebrenica, and General Javier is as much as to blame as the civil person overseeing the whole operation (A Japanese national who had top authority - and refused all requests for air support - don't remember his name). General Javier could have done something, especially during one meeting of the military (without the civil people), and he hesitated for a long time, and finally refused, but i don't think he was acting on behalf of the French Government, i think he was simply scared (Don't ask me of what since i don't know!)...

Reply to this message

Show in topic