DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Interview given by Prime Minister Jean Chrétien to ABC...

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-09 18:53:23

Prime Minister Cretien did an excellent job of representing the Canadian point of view. I think his speech giving Bush and Blair credit for a job well done ensuring Iraq disarmed was a brilliant piece of diplomacy. It provides Bush/ Blair with a face saving excuse to back down from attacking Iraq. Probably futile but worth a chance.

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-03-10 13:26:42

Fatmomma, but we have to keep an eye on the objective. We must collect the Chemical and Biological weapons. If Saddam's 30,000 goons are sitting on them and will not turn them over then like any criminal gang we may have to police them, this will likely result in some type of force bring used.

If you think Saddam doesn't have any of these weapons, here is an interesting link. I believe it is accurate because all last week regular Iraqi troops have been surrendering.

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-12265723,00.html

Reply to this message

Contributor: fatmomma

Date: 2003-03-10 23:32:34

That is what the weapon inspectors are doing. While Saddam is cooperating there is no logical reason to attack. Send in more inspectors. If the USA would pay its backbill to the UN it would be very affordable. You do not "liberate" a people by killing them.
Many of the American/British "proofs of WMD" have proven fraudulent including the other day the claim that Iraq was shopping for uranium in Africa 2 years ago was declared fraudulent by the UN and independent experts. I hadn't heard of any Iraq troops surrendering but if they are it is because they know they will be killed in an attack as they are poorly armed.

Reply to this message

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-03-11 15:47:20

Fatmomma, I agree you don't liberate people by killing them.

Here is another link; I hope you read it. Just select it, then copy and paste it into your address window. Then click on go or press enter. It will take you to the news cast.

http://www.iht.com/cgi-bin/generic.cgi?template=articleprint.tmplh&ArticleId=89327

Snippet from story;

Land-war commanders have been devising procedures to make it possible for entire Iraqi units to signal the allies that they prefer to stay out of the fight. Units that indicate they intend to stay on the sidelines will be exempt from air and land attack and may not even be taken prisoner, allied officers say.

Reply to this message