DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

France sells Weapons to Iraq last month. (January 03).

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-03-08 11:24:56

The word "we" was perhaps misleading, i meant the canadian companies.

legitimate concerns : Self-defence and "certain" specific offensive actions to protect the greater good of mankind (such as the invasion of Germany to get rid of the Nazi regime - i don't consider invading Germany during WWII an act of self-defence). Don't ask me to define what specific offensive actions should be allowed, as I'm not an international law lawyer... Offensive action is a very touchy issue, and i don't have a real specific answer ... i think it must be analyzed case per case.

"Do you mean to say that you think the selling of arms should be controlled by democratically elected governments, or just the governing body in general?"

Controlled was maybe the wrong to use, i should rather say "oversee" that the weapons are not sold to countries which are not democratic, don't respect international law, and which do not respect human rights... This analysis must also be done on a case per case basis by the government.

"It might be better to seek dialogue, than to pour time and effort into creating and selling more weapons- better to seek dialogue"

I agree with you, dialogue must be the priority, but we also have to be realistic, if dialogue fails, sometimes you have no choice but to resort to force, especially when one of the parties involved in the dialogue is a despot and dictator. Mr. Chamberlain during the 2nd world war did try dialogue for a very long time with Hitler, and it completely failed...

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Contributor: codc01

Date: 2003-03-08 16:26:55

"legitimate concerns : Self-defence and certain specific offensive actions to protect the greater good of mankind "

I knew i read a document on this somewhere, the actual cases where offensive actions can be taken are
discussed by the International Commission on Intervention and State Sovereignty. Canada actively participated in this commission (to avoid the repeat of Rwanda)

For further information,
http://web.gc.cuny.edu/icissresearch/main.htm

Reply to this message

Contributor: kn_aeshap

Date: 2003-03-09 13:52:01

"...sometimes you have no choice but to resort to force..."

I agree, that sometimes you must defend yourself when being attacked and help to defend those who cannot carry out the job by themselves. However, I do not think that this cycle will ever produce any sort of peace among the worlds nations. It will only ever continue as such...

Reply to this message