DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

The Role of Memory

Contributor: Waterloo

Date: 2003-03-02 23:41:37

The situations are obviously not identical, but I didn't say that. The world is, however, appeasing Saddam; just in a different way. They let him defy UN resolution after UN resolution, and do nothing about it. Why? Because they don't want to use force. We've seen the consequences of this unnecessary reluctance too many times. Don't get me wrong, all other options should be tried first, but when they fail, there is no viable alternative.

Iraq hasn't complied: they continue to lie, and 'magically' discover new weapons, chemicals and documents they just plum forgot about all the time. Come on let's be serious. As for the bribes, I fail to see the relevance of them. All western countries bribe all poorer countries to some extent or another; this is nothing new. We give them money and food if they 'behave' according to our principles. If they misbehave, they get their aid cut off. At any rate what does it say about Turkey that they are so willing to accept these bribes? Why is nothing said about them?

"Saddam is just a small player "
I see. Well, perhaps your definition of a small player is different than mine. I don't see how a man with WMD, a history of using them, huge amounts of oil, who invaded a neighbouring country, and a constant threat to the region and world's security is a small player. Furthermore, why did the UN vote unanimously on disarming him if he has such a small role?

Reply to this message

Show in topic

The Role of Memory

Contributor: Fleabag

Date: 2003-03-05 21:27:47

Check out a resolution of the UN that was ignored. A/RES/44/240 from the 88th plenary meeting, 29 December 1989. Should countries that ignore UN resolutions be invaded and their regimes changed? Check out the UN resolutions that have been ignored in the past say, 20 years. Israel tops the list. Palestinians are back blowing up buses. There is no 'hot pursuit' that leads the US to Iraq. Only directives from oil companies are focused there.
An Iraqi ex-pat was on a radio talk show the other day, and he claims that F-16s flew close support/observation missions over the gassed Kurds. Did they intervene? Of course not. Kurdish independence would further break up control of the oil fields. The US does not want that. The gassing and murder of Kurds 'is a helpful action in the interests of the US'.

Reply to this message