DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Canada Not OK

Contributor: Fleabag

Date: 2003-02-24 21:16:51

For the most part, you are right on with your dissection of Canadians being influenced by the US. To a large degree, that makes many 'hypocritical'. I, myself, do not watch television anymore, nor do I frequent multinational fast food chains, clothing shops, etc. Somewhat of an anomaly, to be sure. I have seen plenty of misguided protests, ranting against the US, etc. in Canada that serves no purpose.
I guess what the gist of your message is "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone".
In Calgary, a visiting dignitary often receives a white cowboy hat from our mayor. When one was given to the visiting Chinese president(or premier, I can't actually remember), the headlines read something like "A Black Day For White Hat". We are aware of our selling our morals for profit, to a certain degree, and it doth rankle our soul. However, we still seem to want to take our place in line to suckle at the teat of the Golden Calf.
Still, salvation may be at hand. If the US can be confronted, and told that we do not value Jerry Springer as much as public health care, or education, we may be able to save ourselves from complete degradation yet.
Interesting, a doctor in Canada can earn more in the US, while a person in Hollywood pretending to be a doctor can be worth more than an entire hospital. Where shall we focus our efforts?

Reply to this message

Show in topic

Canada Not OK

Contributor: jwitt

Date: 2003-02-25 20:19:30

Fleabag,

On the basis of your previous postings, I already had you pegged as an anomalous entity -that I knew for sure. Nothing personal there. So, where shall we focus our efforts? That I believe, is the crux of the issue.

I think the first order of business must be recognizing who and what we collectively really are. It is my strong conviction that the vast majority of Canadians truly don't understand the real implications of activities such as the Team Canada Trade Missions (by now you likely realize that this is one of my more serious peeves),and given the apparent lack of broad participation in this dialogue, I fear that the vast majority of Canadians don't even care to understand. A very frightening prospect.

We are all currently feeling a little overwhelmed with Iraq and the middle east in general,(and given its potential ramifications, so should we be). Certainly, we should continue discussing Iraq, especially given that the matter will really start to heat up in the coming weeks. However, we can't forget that our foreign policy needs to reach well beyond Iraq. Gotta run now, but I hope we can continue this over the next week.

Reply to this message

Canada Not OK

Contributor: Fleabag

Date: 2003-02-26 00:14:24

The Human Condition currently resides in the phase of 'I think therefore I am' when they should be thinking ' My existence is defined by the observations and evaluations of my co-existers (or be-ers). To some on this planet, I may be a delicious place to lay eggs. To others, I may be family, sharing genetic foibles.
It is, however, the driver, as it were, of our actions. It is our soul behind the wheel of our "Individual Mobile".

Reply to this message