DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

The Role of Memory

Contributor: Vox

Date: 2003-02-24 14:10:19

I think I understand why people feel enlightenment should not realistically be a goal of foreign policy.

I never actually said that it should - go and read my message again. Those words are not part of my posting. I believe we often read into what is presented to us. Sometimes we may be correct to assume but other times we may not be. The fact that people have assume that may mean that the idea is also partly theirs.

So just what did I mean about enlightenment and do I think enlightenment should be a goal of foreign policy? I apologize and I would like to give a proper answer but I must balance my life and attend to other matters at the moment. I will try to comment later in the evening.

Vox Canadiana

Reply to this message

Show in topic

The Role of Memory

Date: 2003-02-24 21:35:13

Okay, to answer your original questions:

My original allusion to enlightenment was simply with regard an individual's personal enlightenment. I feel that people develop more effective and lasting policies when they contain deep insight into the stakeholders' "mind space". Our 3 Pillars approach seems to embrace the concept of enlightening others of our values but what about being enlightened about other peoples' values? When diplomats meet and work with one another across the gulfs of races, cultures, ethnicity and customs, is there something more lasting and binding than simply a satisfactory arrangement with regard to our respective country's interests? Do they just talk "at" one another and stick to their own agendas?

This would lead me to ponder your suggestion that enlightenment (might) be a goal of foreign policy.

I have never been satisfied with perpetuating the "grind". Especially given the UN/NATO/EU squabbles of late, I would think there has to be something more effective than "the grind" and the all too familiar failures. Our approaches are so often reminiscent of zero-sum games. Is this really just "grindingly slow" growing pains? And do we really have that much time?

I think mutual enlightenment should be a parallel goal in foreign policy-making. If we mean to live in peace then we need honourable policies and others need to deeply understand where we all come from. In a sense, consistent and positive memory of who Canada is an aid to Canadian foreign policy. Having said this I realize that a persistent problem has always been whether the other countries will reciprocate and how to effectively manage cheaters and miscommunications. I'm still actively researching this but in general I believe there is no acceptable future but enlightenment.

Vox Canadiana

Reply to this message

The Role of Memory

Contributor: Barretm82

Date: 2003-02-25 18:49:04

Vox, you pose some very thought provoking questions. I will have to take some time to examine the whole subject.

First off, a client of mine requires that I leave the city for at least week or so.
After that, I will get back to the forum and put some time into the subject and try to get a thoughtful response posted.

Regards;
Steve

Reply to this message

The Role of Memory

Contributor: banquosghost

Date: 2003-02-25 20:46:22

I wasn't challenging your use of the notion of enlightenment as much as I was exploring one of the themes that seems to emerge every so often...that of an "enlightened foreign policy" or an "enlightened social policy".

Classical Buddhist notions of enlightenment would mitigate against what proponents of enlightened government policies of this or that would seem to desire. Acceptance of suffering is a hallmark of this version of enlightenment, probably not an indication of what it's supposed to infer in regards to policy. I rather think the word enlightened in the context of government policy is more likely intended to refer to The Enlightenment, the period of western history which saw the emergence of rationalism and empiricism. http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/hum_303/enlightenment.html

Maybe that's just me. :-)

Reply to this message

The Role of Memory

Date: 2003-02-26 22:42:09

Thank you for your explanation. I actually did not view it as a challenge but more as a thoughtful and reasonable question. I also wanted to see if people were interested in the idea. So the questions that ensued were not surprising to me.

I had purposely only alluded to the word because the word itself was not a key concept to discuss (although its meaning in the context of memory was). The word "enlightenment" has much broader meanings to me while the application of the word in the topic's context would be seen initially to be more limited. My meaning of enlightenment is not of the empirical sense Western thinking often associates with the works of Locke, Rousseau, Voltaire,...etc. It includes those ideas while also going beyond them. It must because many foreign policy issues also involve people either not of or not convinced of Western thought.

I agree that wording poses a very real challenge whenever people from different backgrounds or experiences try to discuss complex issues. A key word can have significantly different meaning for each party. I fondly recall an experience I had in grad school where I literally spent 6 months working with 7 other people to simply agree on the meaning of the words "strategy" and "strategic". LOL!

Vox Canadiana

Reply to this message