DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Security

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

The Role of Memory

Contributor: Vox

Date: 2003-02-24 13:14:11

Kn_asshap:

I just posted a reply to your earlier question. I do have other important things to do with my time.

I undestand your wish to ask questions but you must also learn to wait for answers before complaining in public. You might also remind yourself that you also have the responsibility to research and present your own ideas and proofs.

I try to take care in giving my views and the words I choose are designed to minimize misunderstanding. When I say "alleged" I mean "alleged". Whatever proof I deliver would still be less than 100% by my standards. So you are free to contend - go and look for yourself. Take a chance and give an assessment. We're on the Internet after all.

Vox Canadiana

Reply to this message

Show in topic

The Role of Memory

Contributor: kn_aeshap

Date: 2003-02-24 13:50:41

"I try to take care in giving my views and the words I choose are designed to minimize misunderstanding. When I say "alleged" I mean "alleged". Whatever proof I deliver would still be less than 100% by my standards."

*sigh* Yes, Vox Canadiana, I am aware that you said "alleged"- and when you said it I assumed that "alleged" was what you meant. But someone must have "alleged" that U.S. troops in Somalia were attacked by Al Qaeda-trained Islamic fighters...was it an 8 year old child? Was it you- making it up? Was it the State Department of the United States?- was it Chuck Jones? You gave absolutely no source for the information what-so-ever. The problem is not that your proof wasn't "100%", it is that you provided no proof- at all. That doesn't bode well for a serious conversation...not at all, actually.

If you can't be bothered to cite the information you're using, well, you should probably prefix everything with 'In my opinion'...or 'I think' (or something of that nature)...without a source for the facts, what you say is meaningless to a discussion that is based on the facts.

"I undestand your wish to ask questions but you must also learn to wait for answers before complaining in public."

I wasn't complaining about anything, I should say- I just wanted you to provide a quotation, a cited source, for the information that you brought forward. Nothing less, nothing more. You failed to do so, hence...

If ever I do not provide cited sources or examples for the points I make or the information I bring foward, and you would like one- just let me know, buddy.

Reply to this message