DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Prosperity

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Education!!!

Contributor: banquosghost

Date: 2003-02-09 15:35:03

While education per se may certainly be important our system of public education is also under attack.

Governments of all stripes and levels, federal, provincial and civic, pay glorious lip service to the principles of public education and then quietly reduce funding for it. Individual citizens rail at having to pay taxes for other peoples children's educations and then camp out all night in order to enroll their own children in private schools. We extol the virtues of the teaching professions and then demonize them when it's time to sit down at the negotiating table. We rant about the education system's *failure* to adequately prepare children for the job market and lobby to reduce programs aimed at preparing citizens to participate fully in a functional democracy. I could go on and on...

On our present course I don't see the public education system in Canada as we have come to know it surviving into the next century. So while education is important, I don't think we really know what it is anymore or why we do it. And if the point of including the concept of education in a discussion of foreign policy is that Canadian students ought to have a grounding in the history of Canadian foreign policy I agree but doubt very much that it'll ever happen. As a nation we've become convinced that education is a mere utility, a period of training for the labour and consumer markets and that almost anything else is "social engineering" by those damn teachers.

Reply to this message

Show in topic