DFAIT logo partnership The logo for the by design elab, an independent research development and production think tank specializing in online forums for policy development, incubated in 1997 at the McLuhan Program at the University of Toronto
DFAIT Home Site Map Help Policies Partners Feedback Netcast Français

Welcome
Message from the Minister
Dialogue Paper
Answer Questions
View Answers
Discussion Forum

Prosperity

Thank you for participating in the Dialogue on Foreign Policy. The interactive web site is now closed. The Minister's report will appear on this web site once it is released.

This Forum is bilingual, and participants post messages in their language of choice.

Trade and Sovereignty

Contributor: cfallon

Date: 2003-02-07 14:09:32

I agree Marius, the discussion is 100% critical. My sentiments run counter to yours, in that, I worry about turning our backs on the nation with which we have most in common. Membership in the EU seems ridiculous: you are opting to be controlled by Berlin-Paris versus Washington. Quelle difference?

The US domestic market is so huge, I don't think they would really care what % of their exports goes where.

If Washington did control our economy, as you fear, there would be some benefits:

1) Elimination of corporate welfare that our federal government bestows its corporate sponsors.

2) Improved environmental regulation (as you well know, the US environmental standards are considerably higher than ours).

Our political system will always, from now until the world blows up, be independent of the US. They don't want us. They don't need us. They US as it is today is how it will be, except that maybe Puerto Rico will become a state.

I worry a great deal about the vast number of Canadians willing to commit economic suicide just to drape themselves in the Canadian flag. (Maybe that's because if we turned our backs on the US, my family wouldn't have anything to eat.)

Reply to this message

Show in topic